Limonessa's Reviews > Hard Bitten

Hard Bitten by Chloe Neill

May 19, 11

bookshelves: fantasy, with-smut, uf-or-pnr
Read from May 17 to 19, 2011 — I own a copy

Gosh, am I pissed at this book. Angry. Could I go back and choose I wouldn't even read it now. I would wait and pick it up together with Drink Deep in November.

Neill, you cannot possibly bore me for almost 200 pages and then drop the bomb 10 pages from the back cover. I feel betrayed and irritated because this screams very much like a mean marketing strategy. This isn't even a cliffhanger. This is what cliffhangers hang on. Do I make sense? Probably not.
You know, of the people who read this one, who is NOT going to buy Drink Deep? Nobody, that's who. Even me, who thought that 80 % of the book was boring. How can I leave it like that?

So, first part, as I said, was slow for me. Too much politics, too much investigation and detective story. I was not into the V intrigue and fairly pissed at the appearance of Claudius. CLAUDIUS? How original for a centuries-old, bad vampire coming from Europe. Charlaine Harris and Stephenie Meyer did not think of that before. I'm not saying that the plot wasn't interesting but it dragged on for tooo long. Where is my favorite character ever in this book? Where is Mallory??? We just see glimpses of her in this book and they're all pretty senseless, hinting at loose ends and future development.

Actually this is the book of loose ends, no closure whatsoever with anybody. "Unresolved" should be the title of this book. Except for one character, who I hope never to see again, the rest is all hanging in the air, waiting for next book to come out and give readers some peace of mind. This is maybe the reason Neill is coming out with two books this year. The risk of harassment and stalking would have been pretty high, had she left us with our mouths hanging open till next year.

Now about the final 10 pages. (view spoiler)

Now, the question is: what's next? what will be the strategy, the loophole, that is going to solve the big mess the last pages left us in? Neill, you said everything is already planned, you better make it convincing for us, because fantasy has a limit as well and I don't want to waste my time waiting for a far-fetched lame excuse for a HEA.

So three stars and waiting for November.

18 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hard Bitten.

Caffenero Prima di iniziarlo aspetto un tuo commento ;)

Limonessa Non leggere lo spoiler ovviamente. Ti consiglio di leggerlo, a questo punto è vitale che tu vada avanti anche se ti avviso, per me è stato frustrante.

message 3: by Joe (new)

Joe Thanks Lisa, one of the most entertaining reviews I've read. I have read books like that and know exactly where you're coming from. My favourite quote? This: 'Actually this is the book of loose ends, no closure whatsoever with anybody. "Unresolved" should be the title of this book. Except for one character, who I hope never to see again'.LMAO. If its ok with you, I'm going to add that bit to my fav' quotes?

I think I'll stay clear of this one, thanks for the heads-up.

Limonessa Aw, Joe, being the 4th in the series I do not suggest you to start with this one. But as for me, as it's happened with many other series before this one, you're so caught up in it that you just have to know what happens. But it is PAINFUL.

message 5: by Jessica (new) - added it

Jessica Thanks for the heads-up! I have this but now I definitely won't touch it before November :)

Limonessa It's better for your coronaries Jessica

Flannery Noooo, don't you think people are going to ruin the spoilers for people? I've been telling people to read it anyway. I agree with pretty much everything you've written here--I never thought I'd be bored for any part of this series and this one was just too political and Mallory-less.:(

Limonessa Flannery, my ideal series would be an already published one - for example I read the first four books of the Fever series and then waited, physically in pain, for a WHOLE week for Shadowfever to come ( I originally thought I would wait for the paperback... yeah, right).
As for spoilers, I had a very bad experience with Looking for Alaska. I accidentally read a quote (not even a review!) and dropped the book.
So I tend to avoid spoilery reviews like leprosy, sometimes I don't even read them before reading the book because I find I get influenced.
Plus, in this book it wasn't only about the spoiler. There wasn't one single resolved thing here, it made me so mad!

Vasya I didn't read a single review to recommend or not this book to me prior to reading it. So, the ending was apparently supposed to be a shocker, but I was so lethargic during most of the book that I really didn't see the significance of the ending, nor it hurt much. I don't even want anything at all to have with Neill's books if it involves reincarnation. They stay where they are.

I feel a bit guilty now though, because I recommended this series to you and even I don't like it now.

P.S. I love Italian... My next language to learn :)

Limonessa Dunno, dunno Vasya,, we'll see what's going to happen, I haven't completely lost my faith in this series yet. First of all, it's not as if she's making up the plot as she goes, she's already planned it all, so I trust - hope - she will come out with something plausible. She better. This was not her best installment, but I am feeling magnanimous with her still, I'm way, way more pissed with Charlaine Harris at the moment.

message 11: by Vasya (last edited May 22, 2011 02:57PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Vasya (view spoiler). I don't even know what to write in my review. Guess I'll just have to think about it some more.

Caffenero It will be a frustrating loooong wait 'till Nov :(

Limonessa Vasya wrote: "[spoilers removed]. I don't even know what to write in my review. Guess I'll just have to think about it some more."

Why would you? The usual Merit-spark wasn't there, we were all so lethargic it didn't come through right. But I was so pissed with the jaw dropper strategy my review came in a flood.

Vasya Lisa O. wrote: "Vasya wrote: "[spoilers removed]. I don't even know what to write in my review. Guess I'll just have to think about it some more."

Why would you? The usual Merit-spark wasn't there, we were all so..."

Guess I'm just trying to find a deeper meaning to it all, but well, there really isn't one.