Alicia's Reviews > Far from Xanadu

Far from Xanadu by Julie Anne Peters

Jan 04, 11

bookshelves: boy, glbt, chicklit, humor, romance, sports
Read on January 04, 2011

This is very different and more mature than some GLBT books out there and I appreciated its uniqueness. Mike (or Mary Elizabeth which is her given name) is a tough broad-- bulking up and wearing her fathers old clothes and boxers to feel closer to him, after his suicide two years prior-- and because she's more comfortable as a lesbian wearing male clothes and doing male things (lifting weights at a converted VFW, hauling feed at the local Mercantile's for farms, and working with their family's almost-bust plumbing business, not to mention her boy nickname).

I felt a little annoyed with her pining away so much for Xanadu, the exotic transplant who calls everything Toto in the podunk town, because we know Xanadu is a tease who enjoys Mike's company when it works for her, but when she has her eyes on a genteel cowboy who is all about being his trophy, she uses Mike when her emotions are down.

There's also another rich character in Jamie, Mike's gay friend who meets a boy online and meets him and falls in love because finally he has someone to be in love with.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Far from Xanadu.