Cass - Words on Paper's Reviews > Being Here

bookshelves: aussie, review-copy, read-2011
Read from February 18 to 20, 2011

4/5

[insert self-synopsis]

Has a lot of charm to it. This is the first book of Jonsberg's I have read, so I have nothing to compare it to, but I enjoyed reading this book. The writing in particular, was both impressive and refreshing. (example to be added) I appreciated the whole story within a story kind of approach that I believe Jonsberg took with this novel.

+ Characters of Leah Cartwright and Carly were both endearing, and I loved that the perspective was of Leah, at age 70+. Her words are full of wisdom, her outlook on the world levelheaded and with a swirling of emotions that are fueled by the memories of her youth.

+ Leah's story is heartfelt and packs a punch with imagination that bursts to the seams. Perhaps that's hyperbolic, but it really was like my "eyes kissed the pages and brought them to life". (quoted from book by memory)

~ The ending is open-ended (I think) and leaves room for analysis. I'm not sure. I'm going to be reading the last 20 pages again to see if I can figure out my own interpretation of events and how things are left.

- Violence to animals. Normal violence is okay, in small doses, but when it is towards the harmless (though in this case that line is blurred) and unassuming, that's when things get serious. The scene, however lacking in vivid description it may have had, will forever remain ingrained in my mind. I am sad for that.

To be expanded.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Being Here.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Good Golly Miss Holly how's it going so far? i want to read my copy soooon.

Cass -  Words on Paper Hehe. It's a lot different than I expected, that's for sure.

The main character is the oldest in her nursing home and she's telling a teenage girl (who came looking for some information for her Social History assignment) the stories of her youth. It's been a really insightful read so far.

Read it soon! It's fairly short at 250 pages. I'm hoping to finish it all off tonight. And then I really need to write some reviews!!