Neil Wright's Reviews > The Cobra

The Cobra by Frederick Forsyth

Jan 14, 11

Read from January 04 to 14, 2011

Freddie’s latest thriller, released at the back end of 2010. I didn’t intend on tackling another one of ‘Forsyth’s saga’s’ for a while but I got this as a present so I got stuck into as soon as I could, making the most of the quiet holidays to give it my full concentration, which is always a help with his detailed plots and threads.

Now, as book reviews go, this is one sided and biased. Fred is a personal favourite of mine and quite rightly deserves his title as ‘The Master Storyteller’, as well as being a fine Englishman! Anyway, after the first couple of chapters I was enthralled. So in depth, complex and contemporary the chapters could be todays news bulletins, containing fragments of factual news stories from the last couple of years, like Obama’s presidency, Cameron’s premiership and the British autistic hacker, Gary Mckinnon. Forsyth weaves his fiction around this fact and it’s great! You feel like your reading a secret report meant for the filing cabinets of the Oval Office or MI5.

The cocaine industry is the focus of the story, with the U.S. government mounting an assault on the cartels of South America. The methods of the cartel to get the drug from root source to users nostril makes for some fascinating reading. The transportation, concealment and personnel that’s required is worldwide and affects countries like the U.K. profoundly.

The characters of the novel are portrayed superbly, the villain’s cover all villainous territory from the cool calm intellectual to the rough violent psychopath. As usual with Frederick, the good guys are fellas that the average Joe think they would love to be. I’ve always thought his characters are a believable Bond. A step up from the Hollywood explosive blockbuster. Calculating, clever and clinical without the chedderness and obligatory notch on the bedpost.

If you are new to Mr F. Forsyth then you will be dazzled by his detail, awestruck by his assiduity and impressed by his intricacy. But, however, if you are familiar with titles as famous as The Day Of The Jackal, The Odessa File etc then it delivers, but delivers only what’s been before, that is my only critique and it is a small one, it will provide a satisfying finale, as ever.

Muchly enjoyed. Anxiously awaiting the Forsyth version of the Wikileaks saga!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cobra.