SilverRaindrops's Reviews > Birdsong

Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks

Apr 05, 15

bookshelves: reviewstatus-reviewed, type-audiobook, read-and-returned, g-historical-fiction
Read from July 31 to September 12, 2012

When I tried to sum up my thoughts on this book before writing my review, something peculiar happened.
I thought about the excellent narration (although it was quite tough to stop and strart again as my iTunes file was split into a whole four chapters, which is rather a lot for such a long book).
I thought about comparisons to the writing of Erich Maria Remarque, and how much I felt that this was not the case.
I thought about maybe watching the TV series based on the book.

I did not think about the book itself.

The main reason for this is probably that I could not get into it. The characters felt very removed from me, and, for the first part, it was so slow-moving I thought I would never finish it. I never really got used to the slow pace, but I got a bit more invested when Jack, and later Elizabeth, step onto the scene.

I felt that this was a real problem. When we read a book about history, it is because we want to experience a bit of what has happened in order to understand it better. But while "Birdsong" is a great account of World War I, and should help the understanding, I did not feel much.

I would still recommend reading this, if only so you have at least read it once and know what everyone is talking about, but, as I grew up with the writings of Remarque, I think I shall stick to him on that subject.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Birdsong.

08/12
9.0% "Took me ages to get into. And I can honestly say I'm glad Peter Firth is reading this, otherwise I would have given up ages ago. There are so many authors I would rather be reading right nowö"
09/02 marked as: read-not-mine
04/05 marked as: read-and-returned

Chrissie What are you thinking? Each part has good writing but it is strange how the different parts at first seem so very different - then you recognize someone and figure out how it is related to the lastn part. I am now in the third part in 1978 and don't recognize anyone...... Who is Elizabeth?!

Chrissie I just finished. I haven't been able to do anything except listen to this book. Excellent narration by Peter Firth. How far are you? I loved it. I loved all the emotion - horror of war and passionate love. And great lines and so much to think about.

SilverRaindrops It took me a long time to get into it, Chrissie. Now I have found my pace with this I think. I am still in the first part. I'm really looking forward to the other parts if you say they are very different. I find this one to be rather slow moving. I felt that Stephen as a characer was introduced rather late (what he is doing there, and who he is, and what he wants), so it was hard for me to build a connection with him.

message 4: by Chrissie (last edited Aug 12, 2012 01:15PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chrissie I was wondering if this WAS a book about WW1..... the theme was so different. At first I was a little put off, but then as the book continues you really appreciate his passion, or somehow you come to believe in it. You are glad the first part is there as you get further into the book. Keep reading, but you do seem to have a harder time getting into it than I did. When Elisabeth first turns up you wonder - who is this? Very soon all is clear.

Chrissie What has happened to you? Are you listening to this still? You have disappeared!!!!! Is something else going on?

Chrissie SR, have you given it up? I thought it was so peculiar that I have heard nothing from you. Is everything OK?

SilverRaindrops Chrissie wrote: "SR, have you given it up? I thought it was so peculiar that I have heard nothing from you. Is everything OK?"

Oh, Chrissie, I'm sorry, I missed the notification about the first message.

In fact, I was listening to this while ironing, and I had switched to a DVD series. I finished the DVD last week, so this weekend I will finish the audiobook I think :).

Chrissie Certainly not your favorite!

message 9: by SilverRaindrops (last edited Aug 31, 2012 05:15AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

SilverRaindrops I won't say for certain before I'm done, but I highly doubt it.

Chrissie I wonder what you would think of "A Long, Long Way", by Sebastian Barry. I just finished that. If I compare the too I think I prefer Barry's. Have your read it?

SilverRaindrops Chrissie wrote: "I wonder what you would think of "A Long, Long Way", by Sebastian Barry. I just finished that. If I compare the too I think I prefer Barry's. Have your read it?"

No, I haven't but I might. I find that it is a very interesting period in history, as not only the War happened, but there were many shifts in peoples' lives as well. Thanks for the recommendation!

Chrissie Sure thing.