Gail's Reviews > A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail

A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson

Jun 27, 07

bookshelves: favorite-authors, non-fiction

This is my first book of Bryson and already I'm in love. What a fantastically witty writer and his job is what every journalist (whether they realize it or not) wishes it could be -- traveling the world and doing research on the places he visits. The first 40 pages of this book are laugh-out loud funny (seriously, there is one line where Bryson talks about his fear upon encountering a bear where I was crying in bed) but the book, though still VERY humorous, tames down a little once he begins his journey on the trail with his odd lumberjack of a friend, Katz. Then, with all his facts on the trail, it gets interesting.

Thank you to my dear friend Ellen for lending me Bryson's copy of The Lost Continent. I have a feeling, before long, I'll join her in the "wanting every book he's ever written" club.

If you're looking for a fun read to get you through some heavier lit, you'll burn through this one - good stuff!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Walk in the Woods.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Ellen I LOVE Bill Bryson! Have you ever read anything else by him?

Gail Nope ... I picked this book up in an airport a few months back after some rave reviews from co-workers. It's been sitting on my dresser saying "Read me!" ever since. Can't wait to dive in (and then into more Bryson, no doubt)