Marissa's Reviews > In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood by Truman Capote

Jan 03, 11

bookshelves: crime, non-fiction

This has been on my to-read list for so long it's ridiculous and I'm glad to have finally gotten around to reading this classic of non-fiction and the true crime genre. It has everything that critics have so often already praised about it and which made it such great material to build a movie around. Indeed it is a book that reads like a movie, the events in it unfolding with vivid, cinematic detail and the characters set in their tragic, respective fates while the world spins on around them. I was surprised by how, more than being just a portrait of a senseless, devastating murder, it paints a picture of rural life in America in all the glory of an era which seems to have passed all of us by. And for all that it is still very subtle and balanced. It would have been easy to really sensationalize the story or turn it into a maudlin soap opera melodrama, but Capote creates a simple, straight-forward voice that suits the material and underscores the terror of the subject matter without ever going over the top.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In Cold Blood.