Kathryn's Reviews > Ancient Awakening

Ancient Awakening by Matthew Bryan Laube

Jan 14, 11

bookshelves: demons, gruesome-horror, urban-fantasy, werewolves, monsters
Read from January 04 to 14, 2011

I had a difficult time starting this. I did not like Ann, Miller seemed to have a rough potential, and I instantly liked Mike but the story felt hollow. By the final third, the story came together, each of the main characters possessing enough depth to interest me, and I had less issues with the humor.

As a fast paced monster book, this was excellent. There were a variety of beasties running around and the action was plentiful. I wish the first half of the book had had the cohesion and tightness that the last bit of the book did. I realize it must be difficult to throw characters into a world where monsters are real and have those characters convincingly act instead of going into shock or useless catatonia but I prefer instinctive reactions and an inner monologue of denial over humor used as a coping mechanism. But I did not write this so maybe ignore that comment. I just did not feel the humor too much. The book had potential to be truly frightening without it but that is not what the author wanted to do. I think he was going more for B horror and camp, which I am not complaining about. It's just a matter of preferances.

Regardless, this was fun and I am eager to read book 2 in the series. The ending here was perfect. The author has created a unique mythology with great promise. I also appreciate that the series is a planned 3 books and not another never ending addiction. 3 1/2 stars.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ancient Awakening.