Bookaholics's Reviews > The Perfect Mistress

Jan 03, 11

The Perfect Mistress by Victoria Alexander
Historical Romance – January 25th, 2011
4 ½ stars

The Perfect Mistress tells the story of Lady Julia Winterset. After the death of her husband, Julia is left in desperate financial straights. This compels her to try and secure a future for herself by selling the inheritance left to her by her great grandmother. The Perfect Mistress is a set of personal memoirs of her great grandmother Lady Hermione Middlebury. Julia plans have them published. But they are very scandalous adventures. When word leaks of Julia’s plans to publish the infamous memoirs some of London’s most elite are intent on preventing them form being made public. Julia is pursued by 3 different men in an attempt to gain access to the scandalous memoirs and stop their publication.

Victoria Alexander does a fabulous job of creating wonderful characters who you want to read more about. Not only are the main characters engaging but also the sub characters, makes me hope for more novels featuring them, too! I really loved how the main character Lady Julia came alive and was forced to deal with many difficult situations but is still able to handle them all in a fun and entertaining manner. The hero, Harrison Landingham, the Earl of Mountdale was also a wonderful character. After finding out about the memoirs and that his father is included in them, he tries to befriend Lady Julia in order to keep them from being published. But he is unexpectedly drawn to her and starts to reconsider what he really wants from Lady Julia. The hero was one of the best I have ever read. I loved how he progressed from a straight-laced, rather serious man to one who really developed and became more human and loveable.

Overall, I thought this was a really winning book that had many twists and turns so it was surprising and fun. The story was also full of likeable characters that you will want to learn more about. If you are looking for an appealing book chocked full of excitement and charm then this is the book for you.

Reviewed by Mary from the Bookaholics Romance Book Club

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Perfect Mistress.