Barbara VA's Reviews > On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft

On Writing by Stephen King

Jan 03, 2011

bookshelves: non-fiction, author-king, love-of-reading, 2011-read, memoir, writing, good-reads-author
Read from January 30 to February 01, 2011

I wish that I had more than 5 stars to give this book.

It has been on my TBR list for a long time and I have moved it every season in The Seasonal Reading Challenge. Thankfully, we finally had a task related to writing and I am so glad to have had this!

I remember when Carrie was first published, I was working in a library, a college freshman, and these were characters that were real to me. I knew that i would be reading new books by him every year and told everyone I knew that I had "found" a new author. I stopped reading King after "The Stand", my personal favorite, mainly because I had too much else going on in life and so many interests that he just sort of slid by.
Now, he is my son's favorite and we have many happy hours discussing the early works and he has me reading Mr King again, and haunting (!) our local library sales for hardcovers to replace the well read and worn paperbacks.

He tells you that there is no magic formula and treats writing with respect and treats authors with the respect that they deserve and tells you why he feels that way. Perfect!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On Writing.

12/11/2016 marked as: read