Sidna 's Reviews > Skipping Christmas

Skipping Christmas by John Grisham

F 50x66
Jan 03, 11

Read in January, 2011

In a sentence this book is much ado about nothing. Luther and Nora Krank's daughter leaves just before Christmas for a Peace Corps assignment in Peru. Since they are going to be alone for the holiday for the first time in over 20 years, they decide to go on a cruise instead of celebrating at home. As far as I am concerned that should be the end of the story.

My husband and I have celebrated Christmas alone several times. Once we decided to go to Branson. Big mistake! Don't go there at Christmas--there is nothing to do! We were the only people in our hotel so we had no maid service on Christmas Day. A cruise sounds like a great idea!

The characters in this book were straight from a Hallmark made for tv movie. The neighbors were all in Luther and Nora's business. I've lived in many different cities in 5 different states and never had a neighbor try to tell me how to decorate my house for Christmas. We never put up a tree when we are alone and our neighbors don't give a hoot.

Luther and Nora did go a little too far. They could have attended the company Christmas dinner since they weren't leaving until Christmas Eve day. The ending made no sense at all.

I'm a Grisham fan and the writing is good, but the story is dumb. This book was written in 2001. Don't know if it has been made into a Hallmark movie yet, but it should be.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Skipping Christmas.

Book Concierge This was made into a major motion picture release starring Tim Allen and Jamie Lee Curtis - retitled "Christmas With the Kranks" circa 2003 or 2004 I think. I didn't see it, so have no idea if it was entertaining or not.

Emily The movie is really funny! And hey it is a bit overly dramatic but that's the fun of fiction. It certainly doesn't have to be realistic, especially for a somewhat cheesy Christmas story.