Elizabeth Salom (elistar)'s Reviews > Across the Universe

Jan 03, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: 2011, young-adult, dystopian, it-was-ok, beautiful-covers
Read from March 14 to 17, 2011

As much as I WANTED to love this book, after I'd finished reading it, the first thought that popped in my head was a negative one:

"This didn't live up to its potential."

The concept for this book sounded incredibly original - the earth is dying, so a spaceship is loaded up with the best and brightest of our planet to start a civilization on another planet? Something awful happens to a cryogenically frozen teenage girl before they make it to their final destination? Um, yes please! Sign me up!

I'll give it to Ms. Revis - it was a GREAT idea. The schematics of how the spaceship worked, an insane dystopian world on a moving object flying through space - I was impressed with her creativity. However, I wasn't impressed with the lack of character development and the feeling of incompleteness I was left with at the end of the book. As wonderful as the story could have been, I never really connected to any of the characters, nor did I really feel like the ultimate plot was resolved enough. While I read this book rather quickly, I think I was only reading in the hopes that it was going to get better at some point, that somewhere in the pages I would find something to make up for its deficiencies. That never really happened. I kept thinking "That's it? That's all we get?". It was incredibly frustrating.

The alternating narrators are interesting enough - the ideas and concepts suggested (the concept of what freedom is, mostly) have the potential (but only that - potential) to be thought-provoking and stimulating - and the plot is mildly suspenseful. But for all that, I wouldn't enthusiastically recommend this book. That being said, I AM somewhat interested in reading the next book. As I said, the plot was left unresolved, and I'm still curious as to how this unfinished business ends.
1 like · flag

Elizabeth Salom (elistar) I accidentally rated this and can't figure out how to take it off! LOL - so no, that's not my rating! I just started this.

Elizabeth Salom (elistar) oh good! I don't want this book to get a bad rap because of me, lol. I'm actually digging it so far.