Lara's Reviews > Texas Gothic

Texas Gothic by Rosemary Clement-Moore

Jul 13, 11

bookshelves: read-in-2011, cover-candy, ghosts-and-spirits, mystery, young-adult
Read from July 12 to 13, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

I always really enjoy Rosemary Clement-Moore's books! This one has a lot of similarities to the third Maggie Quinn book--rural Texas ranch land setting, two city girls with paranormal powers dropped into the middle of some mysterious circumstances, a devoted son making sacrifices to help out his family and shelter an aging grandparent... But I didn't mind because I really kind of loved that setting the first time around--it's a character in and of itself--and the characters, while similar on the surface, are actually much different people than Maggie and Lisa and Zeke of Highway to Hell. Amy is the self-appointed gatekeeper of her family full of psychics and witches and ghost hunters, attempting to downplay their weirdness to all the normal folks they come into contact with. Her charming sister Phin is a brilliant scientist, but her research deals with some awkward topics for Amy, and Phin isn't at all afraid to talk about them with pretty much anyone. The two of them are left in charge of their aunt's herb farm for a month while their aunt is on vacation, and of course pretty much immediately all hell breaks loose. Amy and hot cowboy neighbor Ben have some very amusing interactions, and some parts of the story are truly creepy. It's a very fun paranormal mystery indeed, and I can't wait for whatever Clement-Moore puts out there next!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Texas Gothic.

message 1: by Jessica (new)

Jessica I have to check this out. I met the author last month at the author tea I went to and she was so sweet and friendly (and had the cutest shoes). We chatted about this book and Texas and now I really want to read her books!

Lara Oh, you should! Her stuff is a lot like Meg Cabot's, only much, much smarter--I love her!