Maggie's Reviews > Bare Bones

Bare Bones by Kathy Reichs

Jan 12, 11

Read from January 03 to 11, 2011

I didn't care for this novel as much as I liked her later work 206 Bones (Temperance Brennan, #12) by Kathy Reichs which oddly gives me hope that like most writers she goes through some good and bad spots with her long-standing characters. I still really want to read her first Temperance Brennan book.

In this novel, the heroine is tracking down several mysterious potential murders (head & hands uncovered in a privy, infant remains in a wood stove and the crisped cadavers found in a cessna on the side of a rock face. The murders are seeming unconnected but as the book proceeds, lines of overlap begin to appear (as usual, I'm afraid.)

The author's end note was particularly intriguing... she can't of course give us details regarding actual cases but she did describe one amusing situation in which a misinterpretation of a french word on an examination request caused her some initial shock.

I like Kathy's writing style and her books have made me laugh out loud a few times. For example: Detective Ryan's comment that the victim potentially died from acute numerical ascension ("His number was up"! - cue eye-roll & chuckle combo)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bare Bones.