Molly's Reviews > Please Stop Laughing at Me... One Woman's Inspirational Story

Please Stop Laughing at Me... One Woman's Inspirational Story by Jodee Blanco

Jan 03, 11

bookshelves: memoir, 3-stars, i-want-to-like-you
Read in January, 2011

I'm having a difficult time figuring out how I feel about this memoir. I picked it up on impulse at Barnes and Noble a few months ago, and sat down today and read it in one sitting (about 3 hours). I have mixed feelings overall -- it was engaging enough that I was able to read it in one sitting, and never really felt the urge to put it down and go do something else. But at the same time, I feel like if I'd *had* to put it down for a few hours, I probably wouldn't have felt any strong pull to pick it back up and finish it. I think I was turned off by the way the "letter to the reader" at the beginning of the book ended: "To find out what happened with the cute guy at my high school reunion, buy my new book!" Look, lady, I haven't even finished your first book yet, and you're already trying to get me to buy the next one? For some reason, that left a bad taste in my mouth.

That being said, I applaud Blanco for telling her story, and continuing her activism, because bullying is certainly a topic that gets pushed under the proverbial rug far too often. And while the book resonated with me a bit as a teacher, and while I'm certainly happy for her that she got the high school reunion of her dreams (or so it seems...I'm probably not going to buy that second book!), the whole thing just sort of fell flat for me. I can't really explain why, which is frustrating, as this was a book that I really *wanted* to like. And although I didn't hate it, it's not something I would go out of my way to read again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Please Stop Laughing at Me... One Woman's Inspirational Story.