Bree's Reviews > Kit's Surprise: A Christmas Story, 1934

Kit's Surprise by Valerie Tripp

Jan 03, 11

bookshelves: children
Read in January, 2011

My daughter desperately wants an American Girl historical doll, probably Kit. I'm reading Kit's books to see if I think this is a character I'd like my daughter to focus on.

This book started off particularly well-written of the three I have read so far, with the historical details woven in to Kit's dilemmas, and lessons about pride and friendship. However, the ending was incredibly abrupt. It built up to Christmas, with lots of drama and then just ended awkwardly.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kit's Surprise.

message 1: by Betsy (new)

Betsy I had Addy and Felicity. They were so fun. Now they just collect dust at my mom's.

message 2: by Bree (last edited Jan 05, 2011 01:50PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bree Betsy wrote: "I had Addy and Felicity. They were so fun. Now they just collect dust at my mom's."

I wanted one of them when the catalog first came out and I was already too old for dolls! I remember reading the books out loud to my younger sisters. I did buy Amelia a "Just Like You" American Girl doll, but not any of the historicals because I think she's still too young to understand.

I also bought a doll (Elizabeth, Felicity's friend) off eBay for me. I tell myself that it is so we can play together, but I'm having as much fun combing the hair and dressing them as she is. :)