Trix's Reviews > Trust Me

Trust Me by Jeff Erno

May 22, 11

bookshelves: coming-out, gay-for-you, mm-novels
Read from May 21 to 22, 2011, read count: 1

It was a very touching story!

I admit I had a hard time getting to like the characters and immerse in the story. Had to go through like 100 pages before I was interested in truly reading in earnest. In fact, it's the reason why I gave it a 4 star rating. The writing style kind of threw me. Even towards the end, I found it peculiar to read the characters' thoughts mingled with characterisation and psychological analysis from a third party narrator. It made me lose focus in the story, though I admit it helped portray Shawn and Bobby better.

The story of the two boys was heart-wrenching. With different scarring past but equally marked and hurting. And it took their coming together to finally be able to make amends with themselves and accept who and what they are. While reading the story, I felt more sorry for Shawn as he seemed to be suffering in silence with no one to help him answer the questions plaguing his mind. And in fact, burdened by his hatred for himself and the demeaning acts he was subjected to his whole life, he resorted to suicide. It must have been an awful life been cornered from all sides and having people tell him it was wrong to be the way he was.

Bobby's story is just as sad. His differs in that his loneliness and lack of affection made him carefree and cold towards other people, trusting only in protecting himself. While aware of society's view on homosexuals, he hid that aspect of himself and created a lie for others to see. And although he had started to open to Shawn, their break-up only solidified his self defense mechanism of shutting people out.

The story had its typical happy-ending where everyone forgives and forgets and live happily ever after. It was a bit sudden in my opinion after all the gloom of the story and bigotry of people. But Shawn and Bobby deserved it after a life filled with misconceptions. They deserved to be together, surrounded by the love of their families.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Trust Me.