Logan's Reviews > Mr. Putter & Tabby Catch the Cold

Mr. Putter & Tabby Catch the Cold by Cynthia Rylant

Jan 03, 11

bookshelves: to-buy, cat-related, early-reader
Read in January, 2011

Logan (age 6.5) loves cats and we've read the Mr. Putter series for a couple of years now. This is one of our favorites. Mr. Putter is sick and longs for the days when his mother "spoiled" (I hate that word, but that's what's in the book) him by fixing him soup and tea and bringing him adventure books. Enter his lovely neighbor Mrs. Teaberry and her good dog Zeke. These tender and funny stories celebrate friendship and kindness, and are some of the few books that portray aging as a part of life rather than using the elderly as an object lesson (how to cope with the loss of grandpa) or as a prop (the mean old man who yells at the neighbor kids or the apple-cheeked old lady who bakes for everybody). And I must point out, as I probably have in other reviews of cat-related books, it's always exciting to find a book where it's a man or boy who likes cats. So often, pets are gender-specific: cats for girls, dogs for boys. Just try finding a cat t-shirt or cat PJs for a boy and you'll see what I mean! Rylant is a prolific treasure for this generation.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mr. Putter & Tabby Catch the Cold.