Wallace's Reviews > What Would Jane Austen Do?

What Would Jane Austen Do? by Laurie Brown

Jan 12, 11

Recommended to Wallace by: Cass
Read from January 02 to 06, 2011

Time travel, romance, and Jane Austen. Three things that always catch my attention. So, when I saw that Cass had liked this book (she who does not often like frivolous literature) I decided I needed to give it a try. I was surprised by the cover — the hard body of a man overshadowing the stately home beneath it — it’s not often that I put Jane Austen and a bodice ripper cover into my mind at the same time.

Eleanor Pottinger, a costume designer, who is starting her own company making Regency inspired dresses, arrives in England at the a Jane Austen Society gathering to show her dresses. After being cheated on by her fiance, she wants a new start… and she gets one. After being put in the tower of the Twixton Manor Inn (a room haunted by the two sisters, Deirdre and Mina, who used to inhabit them while they were alive) Eleanor is besieged by the young women to go back in time and save their brother, Teddy, from dying in a duel. Not that Eleanor has much choice in the matter, but she is appeased when she finds out that Deirdre and Mina were acquainted with Jane Austen and her sister Cassandra, and going back in time would allow her to meet her favorite author. Once back in Regency time, Eleanor meets Shermont and things heat up. Someone is a spy for Napoleon, who is it? Somehow Teddy and Shermont get into a duel that ends in the death of Teddy and Eleanor has to stop it, but how? Can Shermont and Eleanor fall for each other? And will Eleanor get a moment to speak to Jane Austen? These are the questions the author poses throughout the story.

Though frivolous indeed (and a tad on the long side for this type of novel) who doesn’t need a little frivolity in their lives? Complete with romance, bodice ripping, Jane Austen herself, and surprises at the ending, What Would Jane Austen Do is a mindless, easy read. Just do yourself a favor and don’t think to much while reading it… it’s more of a romance novel than a piece of substantial historical fiction.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What Would Jane Austen Do?.