Jim's Reviews > Rise of a Dynasty: The '57 Celtics, The First Banner, and the Dawning of a NewAmerica

Rise of a Dynasty by Bill Reynolds

Jan 03, 11

Read in December, 2010

I like sports, despite my attempts to equate them with corporate conspiracy theories. In fact, following the NBA, or "The Association" may be one of the few things that keeps me from going over the edge in our land ruled by corporations.

What's not to like about excessively tall, exquisitely athletic individuals running up and down the floor, throwing a round ball through a round hoop--hell, the game was originated with peach baskets.

Reynolds' book on the first championship banner (of 17) that the Boston Celtics have hoisted is an interesting read for fans of basketball, race in America, and any other subject set in the 1950s America that Reynolds chronicles in the book.

The NBA of 1957 is a remarkably different league than the current, tightly choreographed incarnation of pro basketball. The legendary figures profiled; Red Auerbach, Bill Russsell, Tommy Heinsohn--all belong to a time that's disappeared. They were larger than life figures, and Reynolds does a great job recreating the drama and intrigue that followed them during that winter's NBA finals, against the St. Louis Hawks.

If you like sports, particularly the history of sports, you'll love this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rise of a Dynasty.