Jane Stewart's Reviews > In Too Deep (Arcane Society, #10)

In Too Deep (Arcane Society, #10) by Jayne Ann Krentz

Jan 03, 11

bookshelves: paranormal-romantic-mystery
Read in January, 2011

Multiple mysteries are investigated. Some felt incomplete. Not enough relationship interaction and development.

BACKGROUND & STORY BRIEF:
Fallon Jones’ continuing enemy is Nightshade. When one Nightshade leader is killed, another replaces him. Nightshade consists of several independent groups that make drugs to enhance psychic abilities. Fallon and his partners/buddies had some success against Nightshade groups in prior books with more to come in future books. This book is about other bad guys, with a minor role for Nightshade.

The characters in the Arcane Society books have a wide variety of psychic talents. Fallon sees patterns inside of chaos which helps uncover conspiracies. He can also send power that kills. Isabella finds lost things – people, bodies, objects. In this book, Isabella comes to Fallon and gets a job as his office manager. Together they solve at least four different mysteries/questions. Each mystery has something to do with a mechanical object like a lantern, doll, clock, etc. The objects have different powers, for example to kill or make someone unconscious.

REVIEWER’S OPINION:
The story starts off interesting with Isabella on the run and two thugs chasing her. But after that, there is not enough interesting action. Isabella and/or Fallon interact with a bad guy, the bad guy then confesses or tells them what he has been doing, and it is solved. This happened for each mystery. It had the feeling of telling, not showing – because there were long explanations about PAST EVENTS. I didn’t get to experience bad guys and good guys doing things and feeling things. Also there was too much dabbling in different places – like the author was grabbing unrelated stories out of the air. By the end, some of the mysteries didn’t feel complete. They weren’t explained enough.

There was some good action, just not enough. For example Isabella used her power a few times to get out of trouble. I also enjoyed a conversation Isabella had at a cocktail party where she defended Fallon and likened him to Sherlock Holmes.

When I was at 75% of the book, I felt like I was waiting for the story to take off - for things to start happening. It’s not that I wanted it to be over, but more like when is it going to get good? A couple of times I was bored when the author went into lengthy technical descriptions about psychic influences, for example: why different geographical areas have different psychic energies.

I hoped for interesting romantic relationship development, which I did not find. There was no back and forth, witty dialogue, or conflicting personalities. No one grew or changed. Isabella just came into Fallon’s life and was a good thing for him.

OTHER BOOKS:
I’ve read 5 Arcane Society books. I enjoyed two of the earlier books: “Running Hot” and “Sizzle and Burn.” But the most recent two books “Fired Up” and “In Too Deep” just fizzled for me. I gave 5 stars to two of her non-Arcane Society books: “Trust Me” and “All Night Long.” Those two are favorites.

DATA:
Story length: 324 pages. Swearing language: moderate. Sexual language: mild. Number of sex scenes: 3. Estimated number of sex scene pages: 5. Setting: current day California and Arizona. Copyright: 2010. Genre: paranormal romantic mystery.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In Too Deep (Arcane Society, #10).

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carrie (last edited Jan 04, 2011 11:41AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Carrie I tend to like her books a little more than you do so I'm hoping In Too Deep is at least a 3 star for me. ;-) However, i do see a sameness about them, especially the newer ones in this series. Sometimes I can do "same" for the sake of a few hours of non-challenging entertainment. Sometimes "sameness" puts me to sleep. We'll see about this one when I finally get my copy from the library.

Jane Stewart I think you may like it. If not sweet dreams.

Carrie LOL! I can always use a good nap.

Jacqueline I liked it better than you did, because as I've said, these books are comfortable for me. My favs of hers though are Crystal Flame and Shield's Lady. Very old sci fi romances.

Jane Stewart J,
I haven't read those two. I'll look into them. Thanks.

message 6: by Sans (new)

Sans You just saved me $15! I was going to order this from Amazon but I decided not to. Double checked my library system and they finally ordered this and the sequel. Thank you!

Jane Stewart Sans,
You crack me up. Thanks for another laugh.

message 8: by Sans (new)