Cara Dee's Reviews > The Dark Farewell

The Dark Farewell by Josh Lanyon

Jan 04, 11

Read in January, 2011

** spoiler alert ** I really wanted to like this book, being a fan of Lanyon, but it just didn't do it for me. As always, Lanyon introduced great mystery aspects to his M/M novel, and amazing characterization. I enjoyed the progression of Julian and Flynn's relationship, it was a true journey however, I felt like there should have been... more to the story.

For example, Julian's big revalation of his "disease" went over my head. I was still a bit confused about WHAT exactly this disease meant for the character and his "visions." Did it mean the visions weren't real? That it was a side affect of the visions?

And the revelation of the killer was also disappointing. Not the actual answer, for I was happy it didn't turn out to be Casey Lee, but when the climax of the story came, no answers came with it. Just some madman who the characters knew? Really? Nothing like how it could possibly tie in wiht Julian and Flynn's relationship, escape to act as a way to kill off Julian's angered grandfather. (Nice out of that corner.) Then once the villian has been revealed, and Flynn captures him, the novel ends. Just like that, I was shocked. There should have been more! Does Flynn and Julian get what they want? How does Julian take the unmasking of the murderer? The whole thing just made Julian seem very uninvolved with the story. Espcially since we don't see how young Julian handles the after affects. To me what happens after the murderer is captured is just as important to the rest of the story. I need motivation, I need justice, I need more of happy ending then just "We found him!"

Love love love Lanyon, but did not love this.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dark Farewell.