Crystal's Reviews > Choker

Choker by Elizabeth Woods

Jan 04, 11

bookshelves: arc, ebook, for-review, read-jan-2011
Read on January 03, 2011

Trying to write a review for this book is difficult. Not because it's bad, no it's absolutely wonderful, but I don't want to give anything away. Choker is an amazing debut novel from writer Elizabeth Woods. It takes you the reader to the heart of bullying. What it is like to be the one that is bullied. It doesn't matter that you have money or live next door to one of the most popular girls at school or even if your parents are friends with all the popular people's parents, you can still be the one that is bullied and that is what Cara goes through.

Cara comes across as a very sympathetic character and after the bullying incident she becomes even more so. You can see that she just wants to blend in and not be noticed either way. She has a boy she has a crush on but of course he is one of the popular girls' boyfriend. I really felt for Cara. Then Zoe comes back and Cara really seems to come out of her shell. It's an amazing transformation, but then things start happening in their otherwise quiet home town.

I won't say anymore about the plot, but just know that the plot grabs you and drags you in and does not let you go until the last page. It was gripping, it had me on the edge of my seat and though I kind of suspected where the book was going, it still came as a shock to me in the end. Ms. Woods paces this book perfectly, building you up in the first few chapters, hooking you until you can't put the book down.

I also enjoyed the characters. As I mentioned before, I like Cara and enjoyed watching her development. Ethan was also a great character who starts off appearing shallow but through the book you learn more about him. Zoe was a great foil for Cara and made an interesting read, though I never really liked her (and I don't think you were supposed to).

Wonderfully written, heartfelt and realistic, this is a world to be scared of, but it is a world that exists. Bullying is not just for boys, but for girls as well and Ms. Woods handles this subject brilliantly. The book shines even through the creepy parts and it is one that I won't be forgetting anytime soon.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Choker.