Steve Stanley's Reviews > From a Buick 8

From a Buick 8 by Stephen King

Feb 14, 11

Read from December 29, 2010 to February 14, 2011, read count: 1

Its surprising to me that the author's note at the end of this book completely changed my perspective of the entire book.

I guess I had made up my mind by the middle of the book that it was a bizarre concept that wouldn't end with a "happily ever after" moment. The unfortunate part of this book is the unpredictability of events in our lives and how these events very rarely make a good beginning/middle/end of a story we would like to sit down and read.

This "bumpy road" of events in Buick 8 mixed with the awkwardness of the portal into another world (most likely caused by or facilitated by the Dark Tower/Crimson King) makes for a slightly confusing ending. "What to make of the past 350 pages...?"

But, leave it to Stephen King to win me back with the author's note. I'm still processing this book, but these are my first few scattered thoughts. I think the fact that SK was able to put life's awkward moments together in a book just makes sense in a weird sort of way. Especially in the Dark Tower universe.

I would not suggest this book to someone who's unfamiliar with the Dark Tower universe, but it helps us understand more about how that universe works.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read From a Buick 8.

01/03/2011 page 46