Janelle's Reviews > Hold Tight

Hold Tight by Harlan Coben

F 50x66
Jan 03, 2011

Read in January, 2011

Hold Tight is a fast-paced read with numerous subplots that keep you guessing as to how they're related until almost the very end. I love that he brought back Loren Muse and Hester Crimstein, and even gave a mention to "Pocahontas" aka Esperanza. I had just finished reading "The Innocent" when I started this one and there are some very clear similarities. Coben weaves a similar theme into both books-- Parents will do anything for their families, no matter what the risk or danger, and that loyalty rarely extends to other people's kids. That sounds fairly logical but I think Coben takes it a bit to the extreme. Of course I don't have kids so maybe I just don't get it. The thing I didn't like about either book was that the main male characters took ridiculous beatings and still managed to function pretty much normally. I expect that in suspend-reality action-adventure movies but I prefer the books I read to be a little more realistic. Despite that, I enjoyed the book (probably slightly more than The Innocent) and was very impressed at how he seemed to tie up the myriad subplots with a fairly pretty, although complex, bow.

One note to Kindle readers: there are some flaws in this version. The spacing during conversations is off, there are no separations between paragraphs when he switches from one plot line to another (except the first word in the new paragraph is bolded), and some words are randomly hyphenated. It is still readable though.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hold Tight.