Anbu's Reviews > Kane and Abel

Kane and Abel by Jeffrey Archer

May 28, 11

bookshelves: jeffrey-archer, books-i-own
Read from May 20 to 28, 2011

I had read some of Jeffrey Archer’s book long back and I do not remember which books were they. So I would consider this is the first book of Archer I’ve read. As far as the story telling is concerned he is too good, compulsive, fast paced even if the story is not a thriller.

The story on the life of Kane and Abel who born on the same day in 1900s. Those who born in that period in Europe would have experienced a lot of historical events. Here through both Kane and Abel, Jeffrey involves all the important historical events – Titanic Accident, World Wars, great depression, establishment of Ford, evolution of airlines, etc.

I particularly liked this very much. Connecting the real incidents with the fictional story is always difficult when you need to consider all the years and etc. The details of World war two and the fact of not all who considered war heroes actually participated in the war although they wanted to, etc are something many people wouldn’t have thought. But here also, the part involves Kane and Abel was easily predictable when Abel was assigned the rescue duty.

In the whole story, I could feel, Jeffrey was careful not to let us think one of them as hero another as villain. He maintained the positives and negatives of both in the same degree so that ‘who is right’ is always debatable.

During the first half, till Abel reaches USA, I found Abel’s story was interesting and more eventful. With Kane grow up like a typical millionaire’s son, Abel had to go through all the possible troubles a Polish guy could at the time of war. But after that, once Kane start working in the bank, his life became more eventful for some time and Abel’s taken a back seat. I felt he could have avoided it coz, during childhood, I felt Kane’s part was boring as I wanted to move tot he Abel’s story quickly.

The main problem with reading a very famous novel after long time is the ‘clichés’. This book is not so different from it. Particularly when the Florentyna and Richard comes into the story, I felt more of it as clichés and predictable.

But towards the end, the book again picks up well and finished more aptly. Now I could be one of the many persons to suggest Kane and Abel to anyone who wants to read Jeffrey.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kane and Abel.

05/22/2011 page 307