Beth's Reviews > 13 Little Blue Envelopes

13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson

Jan 04, 11

bookshelves: books-read-in-2011, 2-star-incites-mehness
Read from January 01 to 04, 2011

My friends have been raving about this book for a while now, telling me I just had to read it and how awesomely awesome it was. I happened upon a copy in a used bookstore and thought, "What the hey" and added it to my pile.

I wanted to love this book, I really did. I think my expectations were too high. This book had been so built up by my friends that it really didn't have a chance to meet or surpass the bar I had set for it.

I love the idea of the premise but I don't think it was carried out well. I think what fell short for me was Ginny. Which isn't a good sign as she's the main character. I didn't really like her at all until her stop in Paris and even then my feelings towards her only went from cold to lukewarm. Perhaps I would have felt differently had it been written from her POV.

What really bugged me was that she was off on this great adventure and she couldn't muster any excitement. Sure, she's young and in foreign places all by her lonesome but come on! Show a little enthusiasm! She was way to passive, severely lacking in the joie de vivre department. It also annoyed me that she didn't really seem to grow or learn from all her traveling about.

I did adore the supporting cast in this book. I thought Keith was a cute character and I liked Richard. The Knapp's amused me and I wouldn't have minded haring about Europe with her final travel companions.

All in all, this book was an okay read but not a repeater. It had all the makings to be a fantastic romp through Europe but, in my opinion, it totally missed the mark.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 13 Little Blue Envelopes.

01/03/2011 page 81