Laura's Reviews > Alethea

May 24, 11

bookshelves: hf-17th-century, historical-fiction, family-saga, read-2011
Recommended to Laura by: Misfit, CLM
Read from May 22 to 24, 2011

And the Heron's saga continues, telling now about Alethea, daughter of Francis and Thomazine Heron.

Alethea is a woman ahead of her time since her love for painting as above all her 3 admirers: Kit Drakelon, his half-brother, Jasper Sewell, a quiet country doctor and the infamous John of Wilmot, Earl of Rochester.

Her first tutor in the art of painting was Mary Beale who immediately recognized Alethea's gift to draw very quickly any portrait of mainly her family in the beginning oh her career. After acquiring more technique, she learnt to paint miniatures at the Court, during Restoration period. The description of the Fire in London is unforgettable.

Rochester's poems to Alethea are authentic, according to the author, and the order in which they appear in the story corresponds to the order in which most scholars considerer he wrote them. It also seems that the famous portrait of Rochester crowing his monkey at the National Portrait Gallery, is usually assigned to Jacob Huysmans. Since there is no signature on it, why not attribute to Alethea?

After reading this series, I will certainly read the Wintercombe series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Alethea.

Misfit The monkey's antics were pretty funny at times, weren't they?

Laura hilarious in my point of view!!

Laura what a wonderful series Misfit, I can't wait to read the Wintercombe ones. Are they even better than the Heron's saga?

Misfit I thought so, and they cover more history. The last two you'll see the Monmouth rebellion (horrifying stuff) and then the Glorious Revolution (I think that's what it was called). The pair in those two seriously smoke off the pages, although the sex itself as described is tame.

Laura thank you so much!!!

Claire I really enjoyed this series and the Wintercombe series. The author has apparently written some more books but cannot get them published. Why not????

Laura Claire wrote: "I really enjoyed this series and the Wintercombe series. The author has apparently written some more books but cannot get them published. Why not????"

very strange indeed since PB is a very talented writer in my opinion.

Misfit I heard that one of the unpublished was Jacobite period and after Gabaldon everyone's always looking for more.

message 9: by Barb (new)

Barb Laura,
I saw that this was book number 171 read for the the year 2011! Yow woman! How do you do that?!

Laura I'm having more free time this year since I retired from my main job. I also like to listen to some audio books, specially some great dramatizations provided by BBC Radio.

Misfit Work time sure makes a big difference. I'm back to full time (a good thing) and I'm falling behind my challenge. Congrats to Laura.

Laura that's the only to try to decrease our TBR list....