Jill's Reviews > Tomorrow Will Be Better

Tomorrow Will Be Better by Betty  Smith

Mar 21, 12

Read from February 26 to March 18, 2012

I thought I reviewed this already.... darn you Goodreads app.

This was a book by the same author as A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. It was about a girl in Brooklyn in the 20s and her sad life. This type of book is right up Betty Smith's lane. She loves to make you feel bad for the main character in a story. Margy grew up in poverty (which seems way worse now that we make more than $12 a week), married into poverty, and basically just lived her sad life where stuff kept going wrong.

I really like the way Betty Smith writes. Her dialogue is authentic and you can really picture the scenes in your head. You are transported into a totally different world. And times have changed so much, it is just crazy. Like Margy and her husband got engaged and married all in less than 2 months. That would be RIDICULOUS today. Craziness.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tomorrow Will Be Better.

02/26/2012 page 36
13.0% "Betty loves to write about families in poverty from a long time ago! And she always hooks me."
03/11/2012 page 112
41.0% "I'm glad I live now and not in the 20s..."
03/18/2012 page 181
66.0% "Two people just got engaged and then married in the span of a month!!! So crazy."

message 1: by Colleen (new) - added it

Colleen I am 75 and read this in my early 20's. I can't count the number of times I recalled this story as I was struggling with 3 babies and a workaholic spouse. At times I wanted to be a single working girl again.