Miriam's Reviews > Trickster: Native American Tales, A Graphic Collection

Jan 02, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: graphic, mythology
Read in January, 2011

On the one hand, I feel a little guilty giving this collection only 3 stars, because it is fabulous that they collected all these native american tales together and got various artists to illustrate them and paid for a high-quality heavy-paper glossy publication.

On the other hand, I feel a little guilt giving this collection as much as 3 stars, because man, it was pretty effing boring and the retellings were uninspired and most of the art was stunningly weak and cartoonish.

I am far from being an expert and I could easily come up with a more diverse, complex and interesting set of trickster tales. And I could relate them in a more interesting voice. Hell, I could even illustrate them better than most of these artists bothered to do. And since they actually make careers out of this I can only assume that the artists or the editor thought this over-simple, silly tone was appropriate to the subject matter. Wrong.

*******

[Edit: I know it says "three"; I took away another star after reading other reviews where people said that this was their first encounter with Native American mythology and it made them not bother reading further.]

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Trickster.

01/05/2011 page 104
45.0% ""The old man had cut the meat from his own leg." Yuck. And also, um, why?"

message 1: by Seth (new) - rated it 1 star

Seth T. Yeah, I felt guilty giving it as few stars as I did since, like, at least the effort was made. In the end, I couldn't reward merely the intention and just gave it the one star I felt it deserved.