Mare S's Reviews > Decision Points

Decision Points by George W. Bush

Jan 18, 11

bookshelves: 2011-reads, autobio-and-biographies, history, political
Read from January 02 to 16, 2011

I freely admit that I come at this book as a bleeding heart liberal who never thought much of President George W. Bush and his capabilities. I borrowed this book from the library - because yeah, wasn't going to pay for it - as I was curious to read his take on certain situations. I went into it fully expecting to feel annoyed with things and biased against his politics. I didn't expect it to be so very boring. It took me a whole week to get through fifty pages before I finally started skimming to the parts that I was curious about.

This book is like President Bush when he went off script during press conferences. If it weren't so boring, it might rate as a train wreck. I will say that a few of the clips that were sensationalized were completely taken out of text - his mother didn't make him stare at her miscarried child so much as needed someone to drive her to the hospital - but the Kanye West thing? Very true. And so anger-making. He was president when 9/11 happened (no, I don't think he was responsible, but it still happened). He was president during two wars and whether he believed in them or not, men and women lost their lives during these wars. And the worst moment of his presidency was when Kanye West called him a racist?

There really was no new information or understanding provided. Just so damn boring. I think the only way it could only be worse would be to have it narrated to me by George W. Bush.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Decision Points.

01/02/2011 page 24
5.0% "Already this book makes me want to punch him. I hope the library wasn't judging me for this." 3 comments
01/08/2011 page 52
11.0% "I think this might be a skim book as it's putting me to sleep right now and then will probably just make me angry"
01/12/2011 page 198
41.0% "So boring! And angry making. Am now skimming."
01/17/2011 page 277
58.0% "So boring and frustrating. Double boo."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Debc (new)

Debc This really makes me not want to read it (not that I did in the first place). How did he handle the Katrina disaster? That was one of his lowest points, too, IMO. The whole thing was mishandled from Bush on down.

message 2: by Mare (new) - rated it 1 star

Mare S He spends so much time focusing on the fact that *he* wasn't allowed to do anything (which I don't buy) and how he wasn't a racist, that he doesn't really focus on things. Basically, this feels like him defending his choices, but with no real insight from being away from office.

message 3: by Debc (new)

Debc Mare wrote: "He spends so much time focusing on the fact that *he* wasn't allowed to do anything (which I don't buy) and how he wasn't a racist, that he doesn't really focus on things. Basically, this feels li..."

Ugh and Double Ugh. What a putz. Someone should really clue him in that there are consequences to the things he does/says/donesn't do.

message 4: by Shari (new)

Shari If you saw his interview with Oprah, the law doesn't allow the Federal govt the ability to take over in any State unless the State asks for it. He begged the Governor to ask for help when he visited the first time and she was aboard Air Force One for a meeting with him, and she refused. His hands were legally tied. All she had to do was to officially ask for Federal help and it was hers.

message 5: by Mare (new) - rated it 1 star

Mare S Yeah, I didn't see his Oprah appearance. I just heard about bits and clips in news (like the supposed fetus in a jar).

Heidi Petterson Wow, a bleeding heart liberal w. no respect for a man who deserves it? Couldn't be. I am so shocked by your review. Truly shocked. :/

Melissa I didn't find it boring at all. In fact, it was rather fascinating to see all the details about world leaders. (Like Vladimir Putin). And why wouldn't it be a bad moment in his presidency to be called racist? That is a damning comment and one the left throws around too often when the recipients don't deserve it. Bush didn't deserve this comment, either.

Melissa Shari, you're right. The federal govt. cannot intervene in something like this unless the state asks. Why Gov. Blanco didn't ask for help is beyond me.

Sylvia I'm half way thru the Bush and find it not only interesting reading but feel as if ole George is actually talking to me on a personal basis. He tells his story in his own words and in an honest, down to earth manner which made the book easy to read without having to digest so much government lingo. George did his best as President. Thumbs up for his openness.

message 10: by John (new) - rated it 5 stars

John Boring? More honesty on your part would have you admit it was over your head and beyond your intellect.

Dakota John wrote: "Boring? More honesty on your part would have you admit it was over your head and beyond your intellect."

There is nothing about this book that would be over anyone's head. It does not require a strong "intellect". I thought it was interesting, but overall more informative than insightful. He tried to write history before the historian. I still enjoyed it and rated accordingly.