Jess's Reviews > The Throne of Fire

The Throne of Fire by Rick Riordan

May 05, 11

bookshelves: children-s, favorite-authors
Read from May 04 to 05, 2011

The Throne of Fire was so much better than The Red Pyramid, it's ridiculous. I think the predecessor suffered from a lot of heavy exposition and world building, but since that had already been established, the plot of The Throne of Fire could get moving much faster and was much more enjoyable.

Sadie and Carter Kane continue to be some of my favorite characters, and the new additions Riordan brought in for this book were also fabulous. I love watching the Kane siblings's relationship grow and change. Riordan still slips up on the Brit speak in Sadie's point-of-view and sometime's you can tell it's really awkward for him to be writing about a teenage girl, but otherwise, he does really well with her. I do think the narrative sounds much too old for 13 and 14 year olds, and I wish he had aged them up a bit more for this book.

And can I just take a moment to applaud Rick Riordan for setting up the romance between Sadie and Anubis? He could've easily gone with the "possessive, stalk-you-until-you-love me" route like so many other authors have done with it (Meg Cabot, I'm looking at you), but instead, he made Anubis look like a bad boy but with a sweet and helpful heart. Imagine that, a death deity that respects boundaries and isn't an asshole!

All-in-all, if the Red Pyramid didn't impress you very much, you should definitely give The Throne of Fire a chance. It improves on what the previous book set up, and adds so much more to the series too.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Throne of Fire.

05/04/2011 page 55
05/04/2011 page 91
20.0% "First PJO reference!"
show 1 hidden update…

Brianna So there is more Sadie/Anubis? I was legitimately concerned Riordan would give that up, which would have made the book suffer in my opinion.

Jess Definitely some good Sadie/Anubis action! I really enjoy Anubis's character - he's just so adorable.

Brianna That makes me very excited! I love his character too, and I'm glad that he doesn't turn into some crazy stalker that should be put in jail. Or some magical Egyptian equivalent of jail for that matter.

message 4: by Chenthuran (new)

Chenthuran Abeyakaran I couldn't agree anymore. The Throne Of Fire definitely made up for the under performance of its predecessor, the Red Pyramid. Yes, we do have to keep in mind that many people had very high expectations after reading the Percy Jackson series, The Red Pyramid was just straight up bad, no excuse. I really don't have any complaints against the Throne of Fire, in contrast with the long list of complaints I had against the Red Pyramid. There are definitely things that Rick Riordan could smooth out. One of the things he could really fix are the recordings. While they do add that element of narration when the characters are calm instead of when they are in the thick of battle, it doesn't really add much else, and the emotions the characters feel when they are being attacked really enriches the story. Here I would agree the second point of Marleigh's comment. The bickering is pointless. This is where he really took a wrong turn. I think another problem is that we don't really know Egyptian mythology that well, and Ancient Egypt hasn't really had that much of an effect on our current society, so it's hard for Rick Riordan to tie in the modern society into the myth remix as he was able to pull off in the Percy Jackson series. We also have to recognized that this makes Riordan's job really difficult. He has acquainted us with the Greek, Roman, and Egyptian myth systems in an interesting way. Without him, I doubt anyone except for the myth buffs would know who Sobek or Nut were. All we have been torching him about are relatively minor in the grand scheme of things.