Angelina Justice's Reviews > Every Bone Tells a Story

Every Bone Tells a Story by Jill Rubalcaba

Jan 30, 12

bookshelves: non-fiction, children-s-non-fiction, teen-nonfiction
Read from December 15, 2011 to January 30, 2012

Although I am a science nut and am comfortable with jargon, I was delighted to find this book light in that category. There are too many important facets of history and science that are often abandoned by the average reader/learner because the jargon and style of writing is boring or just plain hard to read.

This book worked on conveying the history of each discovery in a short and gripping story format. This is a vital component when you're trying to capture the interest and imagination of middle and high school grade readers.

Then it ventured into deductions and/or conclusions made by the discoverers and the various scientists involved or connected with the study of a particular find.

After an exciting lead-in and an informational segment, the reader is pulled into a debate. The debates are important because they show the scientific community questioning preconceived notions in the same manner as youth and young adults. This allows the reader to identify with the "new" scientific models. It allows the reader to understand that a real learning/discovering model is never static.

Last and best, in my opinion, is the bibliographic section located at the end of each segment. This allows the readers to pursue further reading in their particular area of interest. If the readers is mostly interested in the Lapedo Child, the resources are right there at the end of the section, as opposed to a huge and confusing compilation at the end of the book.

I would suggest this book to readers of all ages above 10. I'd even go so far as to say it's fine for avid fans of history, archeology and science in younger age brackets. If they don't have the reading skills to read it on their own, it would work as a read aloud for a truly interested child.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Every Bone Tells a Story.