Dahlia (yadkny)'s Reviews > Ræliksen

Jan 09, 11

bookshelves: favorites
Recommended for: Historical Romance Lovers
Read from January 02 to 09, 2011, read count: 1

A hauntingly beautiful tale that will stay with me for the rest of my life.

Dægan, a great warrior and chieftain, has decided it is time to settle down. Not only will this appease his mother, but if he finds an Irish bride this will appease the truce he has with an Irish king thereby keeping the land obtained for his people to live on. Dægan has fought in many wars, but he’s never fought for the love and safety of one woman. His patience, bravery, skills, faith, and heart will all be tested, but will it be enough?

Mara’s life as a carefree, spirited, princess will soon come to an end. Unbeknownst to her she’s being hunted. Enemies of the crown have landed on her father’s shores and are pursuing to kidnap her for not only ransom, but for an ultimate power bid. A chieftain is hunting for her affections as he’s seen a side of her that appeals to him. A secret admirer not only hunts for her to rescue her from harm, but also to gain her attention and perhaps she will finally ‘see’ him for that man that he is. Meanwhile her father hunts for his missing daughter offering much for her safe return. However, none of these hunters realizes the fight they will encounter once they capture her.

The plot is cleverly complex and exciting and just when you think you've figured this story out, it takes you in a whole other direction keeping your heart pounding, the tears pouring, and on the edge of your seat. I really appreciated Ms. Vincent's knowledge of the people and land of this time period as the images came across crystal clear. The scenery was completely vivid and will take the reader away to places they never thought they would experience. The characters were not only engaging but they also felt very real. Dægan and Mara refuse to let anyone or anything come between them and the lengths they go to for one another is admirable. Too many supporting characters to name and praise for making this story what it is… captivating.

This is my first read by Renee Vincent and she has undoubtedly earned a place on my auto-buy author’s list. This story has all the makings to being a wonderful screenplay for what I can only imagine being an absolutely gorgeous movie. This book and author earn my highest recommendations and I feel privileged to have read one of the best. It is a must read for any lover of historical romance or even lovers of romance in general.

Review also posted @ Night Owl Reviews:

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ræliksen.