Audrey's Reviews > A Day No Pigs Would Die

A Day No Pigs Would Die by Robert Newton Peck

Jan 02, 11

Read in December, 2010

This is a small book filled with deep,heavy,significant things like character,service,love of family and a wonderful intimacy between father and son.Robert Peck and his father Haven were simple people of the Shaker faith.They believed in everything written down in the Book of Shaker to guide them through their lives.
The story begins with Robert saving the life of his neighbor Benjamin Tanner's Holstein cow ,Apron,helping to deliver her of 2 bull calves and plucking from her throat the goiter that was choking her.She chewed his arm up really badly but it brought him a lasting friendship with his neighbor.
While I read this book I felt a slowing down of this busy life and in my mind I could see the farm that narrowed Robert's opportunities but at the same time taught him many simple truths.A great book -to sum it up I quote from the author's dedication"To my father,Haven Peck...a quiet and gentle man whose work was killing pigs".

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Day No Pigs Would Die.