Matthew's Reviews > The Last Child

The Last Child by John Hart

Jan 02, 11

Read in June, 2010

John Hart's The Last Child was a pretty interesting read. When I first started it I was initially put off by the characters and writing. The subject matter didn't bother me at all, but the almost sophomoric writing style did. The dialogue didn't pop and the characters seemed to be snipped out of cardboard. You learn nothing about the main character Johnny only that he's a little weird, has a missing sister, stays home from school a lot, and tries to be the independent one since his non-existent mother is being drugged by the evil Ken. The first hurtle that hit me was the heavy use of cliche. Many times I kept thinking about Lehane's Mystic River and the subject matter involved. Hart is no Lehane, but The Last Child does eventually become a rather gripping read. As you get into the middle and end of the novel the characters start to take shape and many of them become believable and heart felt. Detective Hunt(all symbology aside) is perhaps the most believable and the most charismatic to the reader. We follow him and Johnny in a twisted search for the missing twin. Once you get used to the cliches and invest yourself in the story, the novel really takes off. In the end I enjoyed reading the novel. It's not the best mystery I've ever read, but it makes for a fun and exciting summer read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Child.