Kellie's Reviews > Southern Discomfort

Southern Discomfort by Margaret Maron

Jan 28, 2008

bookshelves: 2008-reads, deborah-knott-series, mystery-thrillers, series
Read in January, 2008

-(book #2 of the Deborah Knott series) This author definitely has a unique style of writing. This book has so many different aspects to it. First, let’s start with the obvious. There was mystery and suspense, although, the murder didn’t occur until Chapter 10. The protagonist, Deborah Knott, is from a large southern family of farmers. (Tobacco). She has just been inaugurated as a District Court Judge and the first several chapters are about her first few days in her new position. I will say, it is sometimes difficult to keep track of all of the family members mentioned in the book. I think the author could do a better job explaining who is who and how they are related. Maybe a family tree diagram at the beginning of the book? Another aspect to this book is the story of the building of a house for a local woman and her 2 kids by WomanAid. At the beginning of each chapter, Margaret gives us a tip from the house construction manual. Some of this was very interesting to me. The underlying theme of this mystery was about battered woman or woman dominated by a male figure in their lives. Deborah sees it in the cases she rules on as a judge and also in her own family and friends. And finally, I really enjoy Maron’s subtle humor trickled through the writing, although dry, some of it was really funny. This isn’t one of my favorite series, but I like the extraordinary way this author tells a story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Southern Discomfort.