~Megan~'s Reviews > Nothing More to Lose

Nothing More to Lose by Kathryn Shay

Feb 15, 11

bookshelves: romantic-suspense, firefighters-are-hot
Read on February 15, 2011

The first book in this series wowed me, the second made me mad, and the third is my favorite one of all! I had low expectations coming out of the second book, but Ian and Rick's stories were everything I wanted and more.

A running theme throughout the series has been redemption and coping after losing pretty much everything in your life. I mean, these people have really been through some stuff. It's all about how you lived, and our two heroes really discover that in this book. Another reason I loved this one so much was because its overall atmosphere felt just slightly lighter than the first two. There were no moral dilemmas here, no cheating or sleeping around....it just felt less gritty.

Our first hero, Ian, was a firefighter who had his legs crushed by a beam on 9/11 and is now wheelchair-bound. He has pushed away an amazing woman who he loves and who loves him because he doesn't feel like he's man enough or worthy enough for her. Lisel, the Broadway actress, puts it all on the line for him and he turns her down time and again. I admired her determination and her unwavering love for Ian, and her understanding that it would take time for him to believe in his self-worth again. There was a little suspense storyline weaved in here, but it was so secondary to the character development and the beautiful love story. Their HEA was so worth the journey it took to get there.

My favorite love story of the series and my favorite hero of the series was the one I expected to hate the most. Rick Ruscio is a former police officer, now doing community service to make up for his part in the sabotage done in the previous book. I was not looking forward to his HEA, but oh my word, he turned out to be such a special man. I adored his heroine, the preacher's daughter and teacher in the school where he worked his community service. Faith was nothing short of amazing, seeing the good within the man where he saw none. He thought he was bad, just like his criminal abusive father and his drunk and despondent mother. She helped him to see that he made mistakes, but he's still good. I just adored his whole interaction with his youngest sister and every member of Faith's do-gooder family. His redemption was believable to me, and unlike Zach Malvoso in the previous book, I felt he actually did have actual redemption and not just I promise I'll do better and you have to believe based on the fact that I've never kept any of my promises. I just loved Rick and Faith.

The whole series was fantastic, and the epilogue made me happy. I highly recommend this to anyone who likes a good community saga a la Robyn Carr's Virgin River series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nothing More to Lose.

02/15/2011 page 146

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Norma (new)

Norma Great review. I'm half-way through this and I was afraid to continue because Rick already has me wrapped around his finger and I don't want him to mess up!

~Megan~ He doesn't, thank goodness! I loved him to pieces!