TJ Anderson's Reviews > Dreadnought

Jan 11, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: read-2011
Read in January, 2011

It is interesting to read a book that is carried by it's writing rather than it's plot. This is usually not the case for me. I usually tend to favor plot over writing quality. That being said I would have liked a little more plot from this book. In Boneshaker Cherie Priest did a much better job of keeping things moving and keeping you guessing. I'm not saying that this is a slow read, or that you'll want to put it down. Like I said, Cherie Priest's prose is fantastic. But it wasn't until page 220 or so that any real mystery or curiosity was introduced into the book. For the first half of the book you were wondering what happened next only because you knew something had to happen for it to be a book, not because the author had given you any reason to wonder.

Also, I love the idea of creating a world "the clockwork century" where the author is free to write unrelated books with the simple pretext of having the same alternate history. But the main character in this book is the daughter of one of the main characters of Boneshaker and all of the other characters are left out of the book until the final chapter. I think she could have made the book much more exciting by doing a back and forth between Seattle and the traveling heroin. Similar to what the author did in Boneshaker with the mother and son.

But that's just my two cents. I am really excited to see what this author writes ten years from now. From what I've seen of a lot of writers that I enjoy, they are one of the few professions that actually becomes more creative as time goes on.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dreadnought.