Rachael's Reviews > Lonesome Dove

Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry

Aug 07, 11

bookshelves: adventure, historical, just-fiction
Read from July 05 to August 07, 2011

Retired Texas Rangers Captains Gus McCrae and Woodrow Call leave their home in Lonesome Dove with a crew of men and a herd of cows and head toward the untamed lands of Montana. This story is about more than a cattle drive; it's an adventure story, but also a love story, and a telling of the changing face of the U.S. We see good, evil, indifference, justice, hope and tragedy.
This was an interesting read. The beginning was slow, but once I got into the book I couldn’t wait to see what would happen. Who was going to die, who would fall in love, would they make it to Montana, or would the many people they interact with on the way influence them to stop their crazy journey? If you like westerns you will probably like this one. It is a long read though. My version had 834 pages with the novel starting on page 13.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lonesome Dove.

07/05/2011 page 10
1.0% "Actually on page 23, but the book started on page 13. Still at the very beginning of a long book."
07/19/2011 page 75
8.0% "I'm still reading this but it is a huge, old, harcover that is falling apart so I can only read it at home when I have free time. They are planning their cattle drive to Montana. I think all the main characters have been introduced - the latest being 2 Irish brothers who just got off the boat. Also- why is everyone in love with Lorie? I guess there is a shortage of blond women around those parts." 1 comment
show 2 hidden updates…