Sabrina's Reviews > Immortal

Immortal by Gillian Shields

Jan 03, 2011

liked it
Read from January 02 to 03, 2011

** spoiler alert ** I am struggling between 2.5 and three stars for this one. Immortal was rather disappointing for me. Shields does a decent job with the writing and her attempt at a gothic feel came through, especially in the flashback scenes with Agnes. I thought the premise was interesting albeit unorginal - young girl gets sent to boarding school that isn't all that it appears to be (hmm, how many of these have I read before, but I digress). It turns out that Evie is a descendant of one of the original owners who have the ability to harness and control the four elements. Again, no big surprise there.

Unfortunately the problems begin and end with Evie. She started off strong but unfortunately fell quickly into TSTL territory. What happened to the strong girl who wouldn't let anyone see her cry? She suddenly became the girl so in love she was going to risk everything for the boy who couldn't see her in the daylight and who turns out, is the very one who killed her great-grandmother. Her willingness to completely dismiss Sebastian's past crimes was so unbelievable that I found myself becoming increasingly annoyed with her.

So then Shields plays the "I don't want to accept my destiny" card with Evie and she struggles to take her place among the women who follow the Mystic Way. Really? Sigh.

The ending was much to abrupt. Evie finally accepts her destiny (or at least her abilities) and get herself and her friends out of a situation which would have resulted in certain death. Okay, so she's a bad ass after all. Well maybe not, because everyone she was protecting herself and friends from escaped. Quite unbelievable since they were all washed away in an elemental flood.

The ending was meant as a set up for the next book which I am on the fence about reading. The paranormal part of this book was intriguing. Friendship, covens, and weilding the power of the elements was written well. It was Evie's personality and bizarre decisions that made this book difficult for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Immortal.