Maria's Reviews > Ordinary Heroes

Ordinary Heroes by Scott Turow

Jan 02, 11

liked it
Read in December, 2010

I've never read this author. I'm impressed - good for those who enjoy this type of WW2 espionage-ish thriller; the characterizations are realistic and the story engrossing, better than the usual.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ordinary Heroes.

message 1: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia I read his presumed innocent and it sure was a page turner but when I read his second I was really disappointed and stopped reading him. I like your description of this one though.

message 2: by Teresa (last edited Jan 03, 2011 11:47AM) (new)

Teresa Cynthia wrote: "I read his presumed innocent and it sure was a page turner but when I read his second I was really disappointed and stopped reading him. I like your description of this one though."

I remember being disappointed in the writing style of PI -- thought it was one of those rare times that the movie was better. I also read his nonfiction One L: The Turbulent True Story of a First Year at Harvard Law School -- I was working in a law firm at the time and one of the summer clerks had recommended it to me.

message 3: by Barbara (new)

Barbara I read some of his earlier books and found some enjoyment, but I tired of them. They were all legal thrillers. This one sounds different. It seems that he has branched out.

message 4: by Merilee (new)

Merilee He was in the Stanford writing program, I think post-law-school. I read PI, and thought it was OK, but haven't read his others.

message 5: by Maria (last edited Jan 03, 2011 07:55PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Maria I don't think I'll read anything else of his, but this one was quite good. When I was young I used to read Helen MacInnes.

message 6: by Merilee (new)

Merilee It seems I read a few Helen MacInnes way back when...

message 7: by Barbara (new)

Barbara What did she write of interest, Maria?

Maria It was teen stuff, formulaic, but a couple of them, her very first, Above Suspicion (maybe because it was also the first of hers I read - WW2 France), and Friends & Lovers, a departure from the genre and the first book that interested me in seeing Scotland -- charming young love overlaid by overwrought political position -- are both good. The rest are basically forgettable.