Carmen's Reviews > The Name of the Wind

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

May 26, 11

bookshelves: 31-books, 2011
Read from January 18 to May 25, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

This book left me sad and disappointed. It's not often we find new favorite books, and so many found it in this book.

Unfortunately, I didn't care for it and won't be carrying on with the series.

What I liked:
The story started slow, but I found it pretty engaging once Kvothe got to the university. I loved the originality of the magical elements and the unconventional love story. The writing was actually pretty good, although the prose was a little heavy-handed for my taste.

What I didn't like:
Kvothe killed the book for me. I really, really didn't like him. (If you ask my husband who heard my grumbling throughout the novel, he'd tell you this is a gross understatement.)

I found him to be egotistical, selfish, and for a prodigy who survived on his wits for so long on his own, he was surprisingly low on common sense. In fact, it seemed to become a popular plot device for the author to have Kvothe do something uncharacteristically stupid in order to move the story along.

I went back and forth between two and three stars during the read, but ultimately chose to give the book two stars. There were just too many times I considered putting the book away to rank it any higher.

I really wanted to love it. :(
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Name of the Wind.

01/26/2011 page 170
02/02/2011 page 179
27.0% "Had to give this one back to the library. :( Hopefully I'll get back to it soon."
05/23/2011 page 507
77.0% "I feel like I'm the only person in the world that's not enjoying this book. :("
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by S (new) - added it

S This is a good read. Some flaws, but overall really good.

message 2: by S (new) - added it

S Sorry you didn't like the book. I find the series a guilty pleasure. I'd still recommend reading George RR Martin's series, because it is the best thing I have read in a very long time...

Carmen I've been following your updates on those and you've convinced me to try them!