Drianne's Reviews > Point of Hopes

Point of Hopes by Melissa Scott

Jun 12, 12

bookshelves: sf, gay, m-m, lesbian, library, favorites, pwned, mystery
Read in June, 2012, read count: 8?

One of my favorite m/m sf books. The world-building is great, the writing is great, the pairing is great. I love the characters. I *love* this book (and its sequel) -- it's a terrible, terrible loss that Lisa Barnett passed away of cancer and will not be able to keep writing with her partner, Melissa Scott.[return][return]Original thoughts: A cross between fantasy and mystery, set in an 'everyone is bi' universe. Oh, I *loved* this book. It follows the efforts of Nicholas Rathe, a pointsman (= police officer) who refuses to take bribes in a world where the bribes are so expected as to be called "fees" and are how the majority of the points make their living, as he teams up with Philip Eslingen, former soldier now turned bodyguard, to solve the mystery of what has happened to the large number of children who've been disappearing from the city of Astreiant. Fantastic world building (astrology -- though not our astrology, as the planet has two suns, for starters -- is the cornerstone of people's lives/religion, necromancy is real), great characters, a good mystery (that was mostly fair; although the solution relied a little bit on knowledge of their world the reader didn't really have for the "why" of the abductions, the "who" was perfectly fair given the way the novel was written), and a very sweet m/m romance. Loved! Loved!

June 2012: Just reread in anticipation of the new book -- still AMAZING!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Point of Hopes.