Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms)'s Reviews > Seer of Sevenwaters

Seer of Sevenwaters by Juliet Marillier

Jan 09, 11

bookshelves: epic-series, fantasy, historical, romance
Recommended to Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) by: The previous Sevenwaters books!
Recommended for: everyone who has read the previous books
Read from January 02 to 04, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Another great book by an author who has become a favorite. In 2010 I discovered Juliet Marillier and after reading the first book of the Sevenwater series, I not only bought them all, but have bought every book she has written, and consider her perhaps the best storyteller I have read. The writing is just beautiful in every one and they are not the kind of book you can just put down and forget about. This is the newest and fifth book of the Sevenwaters series that started with Daughter of the Forest. They are not a continuation of one character but rather the stories of different members of a family in 4th century Ireland, Britain, and the surrounding areas. This is the time of the fey, touches of supernatural, the Old Religion, but with Christianity coming to the land.

Seer of Sevenwaters is the story of Sibeal who has been trained as a Druid but has not taken her final vows. She is sent by her mentor to Inis Eala for the summer, which is an island where elite warriors are trained. Many of her family members live here including two of her sisters. Here she is witness to a freak storm and shipwreck and rescues one of the men who was aboard the ship. He is close to death and suffers from memory loss, and Sibeal is one of those who takes part in his care.

This is the story of a girl with a great deal of self doubt along with strength and strong convictions. As she falls in love with Felix, the man she rescued, she has to make many life altering decisions. For me personally the book was kind of slow in the first half, and then the second half has a great deal of challenge for these characters, a quest that delves deeply into the supernatural, and a very dangerous and nerve wracking rescue by sea.

This was not my favorite of the Sevenwaters series, perhaps because I was not as attracted to the hero of the story as much as the warriors and supernaturals in some of the others. That said, I read this book in two days and pretty much did not put it down. I was definitely glued to the story which says a lot! The whole Sevenwaters series is one I will read over and over again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Seer of Sevenwaters.