Pamela's Reviews > Halt's Peril

Halt's Peril by John Flanagan

Jan 02, 11

bookshelves: c-action-adventure, 4-gr6-8-middle-sch, 4-gr3-5-upper-elem, a-fic, a-sequel-series
Read in January, 2011

Set in a world similar to medieval Europe, this series follows the adventures of Will, originally a Ranger's apprentice, and his friends as they battle evil. I read the first in the series a few years ago, and enjoyed it. It reminded me of the Lord of the Rings trilogy, but for a younger crowd. By the ninth book, Will has been a full-fledged Ranger for some time, and we are in the middle of the third major adventure for these characters.

Books 1-4 are set during the time Will is an apprentice to Halt and battling the evil Lord Morgarath. Book 7 returns to this time period to tell the tale of another adventure Will had as an apprentice. In Books 5 and 6, Will has become a full-fledged Ranger in his own right and is responsible for protecting his own fief against raiders.

Book 8 starts a new adventure in which Will and his friends are protecting their people against the fraud and ruthlessness of a self-styled prophet named Tennyson. It's a basic journey story. Will travels with Halt, his former mentor, and Horace, his childhood friend who's now a knight, in pursuit of Tennyson across the seas and over desolate and wild landscape. They get the better of smugglers and assassins with their extraordinary skills at the longbow and tracking, while also managing to tease each other along the trail. The depth of their friendship is evident by how well they work together as a unit, and are willing to go to any length to protect and aid one another.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Halt's Peril.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cecilia (new)

Cecilia Hey mom, I was wondering if you thought i would like this book.
Love you,