~Tina~'s Reviews > Hold Me Closer, Necromancer

Hold Me Closer, Necromancer by Lish McBride

Mar 20, 11

bookshelves: own, favorites, read-2011, paranormal, young-adult
Read from March 18 to 20, 2011

TBR Reduce Challenge #17- 2011 (Stefanie)

Do you know when you look at a book, stalk the reviews and then decide to take a chance and figure, why not? I'll give it a shot.
Well, I figure I'd give this book a chance, but what I didn't expect was that awesomeness actually lives in these pages!

First off, I just gotta mention page 49! The head, butter knife and shampoo bottle? Best.Scene.Evah!!!! I laughed my F'N ass off so hard that it took twenty-five minutes to get through the rest of the five and half pages. So so so unexpected that it was freaken genius!!

Hold Me Closer, Necromancer is a brilliant dark paranormal comedy.
It's told by alternate pov's, starting with clueless-college-drop-out, Samhain Corvus LaCroix, a sassy were-hound named Brid and our evil villain, Douglas Montgomery, who has some serious power-hunger issues.
This book has the most wicked scene of dark humor and while it does contain dark themes, I wouldn't classify this as a horror, or at least, my wuss-self was able to handle it just fine.
I simply adore the way Lish McBride writes! Not only does she deliver a creepy mixed blend of paranormal-punks, but each and every single one of them are very defined with very solid roles.
I loved how unique this book felt amongst the other paranorm's, it was creepy, sure, bizarre, definitely, but dame was it ever funny.
This book flows. Not a single dull moment from the very first page till the very last. Oh, and I got a huge kick out of the song-title chapter names. Very cute, very creative!

I loved each and every single one of these character, even the evil ones. Lots of wicked fun with these guys!
You guys are gonna love Sam! He has the best personality, funny, quick wit that drips with sarcasm and a big genuine heart. The poor thing really gets his ass beat through out this entire book not to mention being lied to his whole life and completely clueless to what he really is, but he just keeps on pushing through to the very end.
I just love that.
I adore adore Brooke (giggles) a lot! She provided much entertainment and comic relief. Frank and Ramon were also very cool, and I'm dying to see what becomes of Ramon, that looks to be very interesting.
Brid, Tia, Hailey and Ashely, love them all!
But what I loved about each of them is that they took everything so nonchalantly, you would think it strange, but it just added to the madness of it all. So much fun!

Bottom line, this book has it all my friends. It's fantastically creepy, has the most twistedly fun characters and the writing is pitch perfect.
This book rocked and I simply can't wait to see more from this wickedly awesome world!

A Brilliant escape!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hold Me Closer, Necromancer.

03/19/2011 page 1
03/19/2011 page 50
14.0% " L M F A O!!!!" 5 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nic (new) - added it

Nic I have this book in my reading stack! It looks awesome :)

~Tina~ I heard it was a horror/comedy, the reviews are killing my curiosity lol

message 3: by Nomes (new) - added it

Nomes my library has this one but I have been too lazy to get it out yet :) I am planning on checking it out though

message 4: by Nic (new) - added it

Nic I imagine the main character being snarky! I love snarky characters :)

~Tina~ You say snark and my mind goes straight to Jace Wayland XD Now, that's a snarky character!

message 6: by Arlene (new)

Arlene I can't wait to see what you think of this. I've heard great things. Enjoy!

~Tina~ Gonna start it tomorrow, I'll be done Winter Longing by tonight, it's an easy read...

message 8: by Alexa (new) - added it

Alexa Ooo I want to read this book. I want to laugh! :D Awesome review!

~Tina~ Thankies! You'll love it, Alexa!! So freaken funny!

message 10: by Mayomi (new) - added it

Mayomi Oh... Tina, you make me wanna read this right now. Great review.

~Tina~ Thanks baby! Sooo good!

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead I'm so happy you LOVED it. Your review rocked, I started laughing all over again, thinking about the shampoo bottle.

message 13: by Nic (new) - added it

Nic This just got moved to the top of my reading stack after that brilliant review! It sounds so awesome :D

~Tina~ Michelle wrote: "I'm so happy you LOVED it. Your review rocked, I started laughing all over again, thinking about the shampoo bottle."

My hubby thought I was crazy cause it was dead quiet one minute and the next I was laughing so hard that I feel off my couch. That scene killed.me. XD

~Tina~ Nic wrote: "This just got moved to the top of my reading stack after that brilliant review! It sounds so awesome :D"

TWINIE! Read this!! You'll love it!

message 16: by Lora (new)

Lora Wow. This sounds really good. I just put the audio version on hold at my lib. If I don't like it, I'll try the print version.

Awesome review! :)

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead ~Tina~ wrote: "Michelle wrote: "I'm so happy you LOVED it. Your review rocked, I started laughing all over again, thinking about the shampoo bottle."

My hubby thought I was crazy cause it was dead quiet one minu..."

Hubby's just don't understand! :)

~Tina~ Thanks Lora, hope you enjoy it:)

Michelle wrote:"Hubby's just don't understand! :) ."

LOL! Dame straight;)

message 19: by Arlene (new)

Arlene Brilliant review Tina!! LOL I'm getting the FOR.SURE!!! Glad you loved it. :D

~Tina~ Thanks hun! I hope you love this!!

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead So, I was going to ask you, now that you read and loved the book, do you know of any other books like it? I want more and since I have to wait for the 2nd in the series, I'll have to settle for other books from other authors like this book. Any ideas?

~Tina~ This book so far as been an original. I've never read anything with this kind of dark easy going humor before so I got no rec's sadly:( But, I'll be sure to let you know if I find any and maybe you can do the same?

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead ~Tina~ wrote: "This book so far as been an original. I've never read anything with this kind of dark easy going humor before so I got no rec's sadly:( But, I'll be sure to let you know if I find any and maybe you..."

I'll definitely let you know if I find anything close. I love the way the author writes!

~Tina~ I'll do the same:) She's absolutely brilliant!

Laura This book did rock! Can’t wait for more! Actually I haven’t checked on her in awhile….off to stalk and check release dates! :) Love this review, Tina!

~Tina~ Thanks Laura! This was such a fun book. Haven't re-read it in awhile but I still remember how awesome it was! The next book comes out in Sept I think. Can't wait!!