Michelle Wegner's Reviews > C.J. in a Pickle

C.J. in a Pickle by Robert Bauer

Jan 02, 11

Read in June, 2010

Robert Bauer, a guy in our church authored this creative and funny story about a boy named C.J. that ends up “in a pickle”. He cut his own hair in a moment of spontaneity, and tries to lie his way out of owning up to the unfortunate act by telling elaborate tales about “how it happened.”

In the end, he confesses to his Mom that he did indeed cut his own hair, and he admitted he made up the other crazy incidents to cover up his mistake.

I read this story to my own girls, and they loved it. Our 6 year old especially liked the talking elephant at the end that convinces C.J. to tell the truth. The hidden squirrels on each page make reading the story with a child is a fun game as well.

I think it’s great that Rob has written this book to help illustrate an important lesson about telling the truth. Sometimes it’s hard to tell the truth. This book is a great tool to get a conversation started about truth telling with your own child or your class if you are a teacher, or if you just generally like to read books to kids.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read C.J. in a Pickle.