Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids's Reviews > The Vyne: Mystery of the Hidden Ember

The Vyne by Daniel Walls

Feb 01, 11

bookshelves: mundie-moms-reviews, 2010-debut-author, 2010-100-book-challenge
Read in December, 2010

The Vyne is a little bit adventure, a little bit steampunk, which is what sparked my curiosity and made me want to read the book. The Vyne has a lot of things going on within it's pages. It's a love story wrapped around one of self-discovery, as the main character Ash learns more about his abilities, and the things he is able to do, mixed in with a steampunk theme with the army of clones who are both human like and not human like at the same time.

I had a hard time connecting with the characters. For me, my connection with the main characters really makes the story. I can't really pin point why I had a hard time connecting with them. I really wanted to like Ash more than I did. He was too naive for me, which really bugged me about his character. I wanted him to be a little stronger than he was. When Ash mets Scar, everything changes for him and I had a hard time accepting how fast he falls in love with her. Scar has been on the run and is deemed a rouge. She's not human, but her redeeming trait is that she's not a mindless clone, and through out her journey she becomes more human like. Both Ash and Scar have things they need to overcome and I liked that Ash's adventure teaches him to be more accepting of his abilities as he realizes what he can do. He also learns Scar isn't whom he thought she was. Together, I had a hard time accepting Ash and Scar's relationship. I didn't feel a lot of chemistry between them, which made their relationship feel a bit off for me.

Over all there is a lot going on in the story, which at times flowed well for me and other times I was a little confused. It took me awhile to get into the book, but once I did, I enjoyed it certain aspects of it. The story's adventure and an awesome bad guy who reminds me a lot of Valentine from the TMI series, as he believes so strongly in what he's doing, he becomes blinded by what's right and wrong, are what kept me reading it. I enjoy an intelligent, evil bad boy. Overall, The Vyne is one that I think will appeal to older YA fans and adults, as there is a little bit of something for everyone in this book. Be sure to visit us on Friday when we have a guest post with the author, Daniel Walls.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Vyne.