Tahnee's Reviews > Outlander

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

Aug 30, 2011

Read from January 02 to August 30, 2011

this is an excellent novel...it took about the first 100 pages to get into and figure out what the hell is going on but after it got rolling it is totally engrossing. First you must get used to Ms Gabaldon's style. This is not your everyday "romance writer". Diana Gabaldon is obviously an honorary member of Mensa and makes no apology in letting you know it. She often uses highfaluting words you don't hear in everyday speech. I find myself thinking/saying "I know you are smart Ms. Gabaldon, on with the story!" At times the words convey descriptions of subtlety that provide color and depth so the prententiousness of it all can be somewhat excused. But it really is annoying at times.

Anyway, not to take away from the story line - The book basically describes Claire Beauchamp's adventures while accidentally finding herself in 17th century Scottish highlands. Yeah, I know. boring right? I thought so too, however each chapter told from Claire's POV is a description of everyday life and its mishaps, adventure, politics, witchcraft, intrigue delivered in a deceptively simple conversational style. It has almost a small town gossipy feel to it, but a small town gossip with a Ph.d vocabulary who "gets low" with the details of sex with Jamie Fraser. (love it!)

Jamie Fraser is the man of my dreams. He is by far one of the most likable, sexy, well rounded characters I have ever read. I wish he were either real for me or I was Claire Beauchamp. In any event, the book is amazing and genius since this was her first novel. I've recommended it many of my girlfriends already. truly enjoyable!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Outlander.

01/02/2011 page 560